Sunday, October 6, 2013

December 1953



Times were lean and my parents were having to spend a lot of time away from each other because of my Dads job.
It's odd reading his words from a time before I came along. I'm learning to appreciate the struggles my parents went through to give us a good life. These are just snippets of letters but I didn't know my Dad wrote much, so I'm already learning a lot. I hope as I post here, it will give new light of days gone by and the families that lived them.

From My Dad

Dear Honey,
I just got back from the show and supper. It's 10:30 now and about time for bed. I can't got to bed early, just can't sleep.

Well my expenses were more for this month than my paycheck, that means it will be pretty bad here. I'm counting my money before I get it again.

I bet you will be running pretty low before I get any to send you. I'm sorry it always has to be that way at a time like this.

I just have this one piece of paper left, so just in case my next letter don't get there in time, I hope you have a very happy new year and I love you very much.

I guess we won't have much fun on new years night but can just have us a new year when we get together again.
Be careful and by for now.

With lots of love,
M

P.S.  I hope you more happiness next year than you've had this year. Tell the kids goodnight for me and tell them I miss them a lot.

While my Dad was traveling a lot with his job in the oil business, my Mom was home with two kids and I was on the way. Daddy always had such a caring heart. I'm learning how hard this must have been for him, away from his family and struggling to make it.

We all go through our struggles in life. As I relive his life, I see where his incredible character came from, his strength and yet his tenderness.  He was a good man, a caring father and loving husband. 

No comments:

Post a Comment